Monday, October 15, 2012

Parental Involvement

Since all three of my classes are full of seniors, I do not see much parental involvement. My mentor teacher has emailed home when Calculus students have not done any homework. Surprisingly, she did not receive too big of a response from parents.

My school also had a open house day. Parents were able to walk through their students' schedules and meet teachers. Of the three classes, we have about 44 students. Of these 44 students, only about 5 parents showed up for the open house.

Though this should be very outrageous and surprising, it is not. When I was in high school, my parents were not very involved in my academic life. They expected me to do my homework and pass my tests all on my own. My parents were really more involved and active with my sports life. I must remember that this is the case for several of my students.

We will all have those parents that want to know everything and check grades constantly. Then, we will also have those parents who don't ever want to hear from a teacher.

5 comments:

  1. It's sad, isn't it? I wonder, if the teachers gave more of an opportunity for the parents to be involved would it help? We have the same exact problem and it makes me sad to see these students not have any support.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mentor teacher teaches a senior class and of a class of 18 only one mother showed up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My parents were the same. Expected me to keep up with school but were there for all of my sport activities. I would have expected it a lack of involvement for your group of students as well because they are seniors. By time they are seniors, they hopefully have assumed the responsibilty for their learning along with other aspects of their lives. I think it would be nice to have more fun things for the parents to be involved with that a parent of a senior would appreciate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My parents weren't really involved either. I don't even know if my high school teachers ever contacted them because they didn't need to with discipline or grade issues. I would hope that if my kid was a senior I wouldn't have to be that involved

      Delete
  4. I agree with you. It is amazing to me the parental involvement especially since my parents were so involved.

    ReplyDelete