"Assessment" is a word that every single one of my students hate....well those that know what that word is. They all dread "test day." However, what they don' t realize is that they are assessed way more than they know. I assess my students everyday in several ways.
1. When we go through instruction, I am constantly monitoring my students and making sure they are getting it.
2. After we do a problem, I ask my students to do a "thumbs up/thumbs down" assessment.
3. I grade the papers my students turn in.
4. I look over the homework they turn in and see if they are getting these correct.
Overall, my students are being assessed way more than they know. Assessment is more than just a final exam.
I also do the thumbs up thumbs down approach because I think it is important for all students have to make a decision on how they feel about the material.
ReplyDeleteMy high school biology teacher used to always say quizzes instead of tests because it was less anxiety and we dreaded it less. lol
ReplyDeleteI agree, teachers assess students quite often, way more than the students realize.
ReplyDeleteI like the thumbs up thumbs down. It gives me a little bit more feedback than blank stares.
ReplyDeleteI remember dreading test day in high school too. If only I had known the teachers weren't out to get us all but rather really just wanted to see how much we know, I don't think it would nearly have been so bad. I think the students don't realize that we just want to make sure they're understanding the material, which is why we do all that we do. If they did, maybe they wouldn't be quite as nervous come test day?
ReplyDelete